Plastic sachets and bottles are the most common images that come to mind when it comes to shampoos and conditioners. Part of our daily routine involves washing our hair, especially in the summer or during humid seasons. The problem lies with the kind of product that we use, along with its packaging and content.
So, is there such a product as an eco-friendly shampoo and conditioner that produces zero waste? Upon our research, some companies make such products.
First of all, let’s get the facts straight: plastic will fill up landfills faster than we think – and it’s already happening. Plastic also kills whales, turtles, and other sea life. Moreover, plastic containers may spend years on a dumpsite, rendering us with little space left to dump our trash – a horrible truth, indeed.
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered with some great suggestions on zero waste shampoos and conditioners. You don’t have to sacrifice your cleaning routine just to not damage the environment – we’ve got a couple of suggested products just for you!
EcoRoots Zero Waste Shampoo Bar
If you want a kind of packaging that’s eco-friendly and also aesthetic, these shampoo rounds are what you are looking for. They make your bath time look fun and they also remind you of bath bombs, except that they’re shampoos. Here’s what you need to know about them:
Looking at their shampoos, these bars are made with non-toxic content for their ingredients, coming from ethical sourcing, and are free from palm oil. Most of their shampoo bars come with Pro-Vitamin Complex and Lemon Peel so it acts like a regular grocery shampoo but only with organic compounds.
When it comes to the composition, you’ll find that this shampoo product is free from parabens, sulfates, and silicone so you’re less likely to get itchiness on your scalp, as compared to grocery and commercial shampoos.
In terms of natural ingredients, we did mention that it doesn’t include palm oil. After all, the palm oil industry has a bad reputation for being destructive against the environment, displacing orangutans and various other rainforest species. Continuous harvest of palm oil for mass production also worsens soil erosion problems.
EcoRoots products are cruelty-free and vegan so you’re worrying less about the animals. Likewise, their shampoos won’t leave your hair too dry since it retains most of the natural oils to make your hair bouncy and soft (and, of course, clean).
Packaging and Content
What we like about this product are the bright colors that come with the design. Instead of using artificial dyes, natural dried flower powder is the main ingredient that gives off the fun factor minus the harm to the environment.
Each round of their shampoo contains 2.5 ounces, which is good for about 50 uses. You will save even more if you don’t shampoo often (especially if you have hair color or if you have sensitive hair). After all, many beauty experts recommend that you don’t wash your hair too often to avoid stripping of its natural oils, but that’s another topic in itself.
About EcoRoots as a Company
EcoRoots is based in Colorado with a mission to cater to people’s basic needs without impacting the environment in a bad way. Here’s what you need to know about them:
- Wide range of eco-friendly products. They offer more than just eco-friendly shampoos but they also have a various home, bathroom, and kitchen supplies – all of which come from eco-friendly, sustainable, and ethical sources.
- Plastic-free and compostable packaging. All of their products are shipped without plastic and they only use biodegradable and/or recycled products. For instance, they use cornstarch, which qualifies as a compostable product when you hand it over to your local landfill or composting facility (or even at your backyard in a composting pit).
- Free from unwanted chemicals. All of their products that are made for hygiene and personal care use no SLS and harsh chemicals.
- Sustainable and ethical ingredients. They also use zero palm oil in their products plus they keep their products vegan to appeal to both the environment and those who want to practice veganism to care for the animals.
- Corporate social responsibility. EcoRoots also donates part of its profits to the Ocean Conservancy. This organization focuses on restoring the ocean to its natural beauty and helping to clean up garbage that has been laid down by irresponsible humans.
Plaine Products Shampoo and Conditioner
Plaine Products offer a wide range of shampoos and conditioners that don’t use traditional plastic bottles. If you’re keen on recycling and not wasting anything from your bath products, this is a great shampoo and conditioner brand to go with. Here’s what you need to know about their shampoo and conditioner products:
The first advantage of going with this brand is that you get recyclable and aluminum bottles to enjoy for many years to come, which will help reduce the waste that we throw into the landfills each day. Since not everyone will want to have a bar shampoo or conditioner (like the one we mentioned above), this is an option for you if you still prefer the liquid type.
Aside from that, this company also makes travel sizes so that the next time you go on a vacation or flight, you’ll have a readily available shampoo and/or conditioner that will aid you in washing your hair after a day at the beach (or swimming pool).
Zero Waste Shipping
The company doesn’t stop at their sustainable packaging – they also ship their shampoos and conditioners with care for the environment. For instance, they ship their products with 95% post-consumer waste, as well as plastic-free tape. They do not use any kind of package fillers, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, and anything else that would fill up a landfill unnecessarily.
Likewise, they also have a smart shipping method. If you want to order refills, you can select “no pump” at the checkout, which reduces our waste of manufacturing and then throwing away the pump. You only get one new bottle with the refill.
It doesn’t stop there – you can send the empty bottle back in the box and ship it back to them. That’s how they help lessen the waste while also keeping your shampoo and/or conditioner intact in a durable container. After these recyclable bottles are sanitized, they will be used for new products.
So, you might ask: what do aluminum bottles have over plastic? Well, for starters, aluminum can be recycled as many times as possible while plastic degrades over time due to cracks and lack of durability, especially in hot weather. That’s why aluminum bottles are a great solution to liquid shampoo and/or conditioner containers.
About Plaine Products as a Company
Founded by Lindsey and Alison Delaplaine, this company focuses on eco-friendly, vegan, and biodegradable hair and body hygiene products. Here’s what you need to know about them:
- Their products are family-tested. The sisters mentioned above test their products personally with their families to ensure that they will work well for their consumers.
- They run a regular eco-friendly check for their ingredients. While most companies are not very keen and responsible when it comes to ingredients, this company does care about the environment. They always depend on the Environmental Working Group database to check if their products are eco-friendly and non-toxic to all living beings.
- They always go completely plastic-free. The main objective of this company is to become a company that promotes less plastic usage around the world. With their innovative solution of using aluminum containers instead of plastic bottles for shampoos and conditions, they are one step closer to achieving their dream.
- Their products are vegan. If you came here looking for cruelty-free shampoos and conditioners that are also eco-friendly, Plaine Products is a good brand for you.
Ethique Shampoo Bars and Conditioners
Yet another shampoo/conditioner bar-making company is Ethique, which cuts down on packaging costs and whatnot. Here’s what to like about their shampoo and conditioner bars:
Hassle-free and Eco-friendly Packaging
While liquid shampoos are often a problem when you go through the TSA, Ethique’s eco-friendly shampoo bars will get you to your next destination in no time minus the annoying airline restrictions. Soap doesn’t get checked in the airport, right? That’s the kind of concept that this company aimed for.
If you came here looking for a travel-friendly shampoo and/or conditioner, this is a great choice for you. Since it’s not liquid, you not only don’t have to worry about the TSA restrictions, but you also don’t have to throw away plastic packaging or bottles because the product comes in a bar form. The bar is wrapped in recycled paper and won’t lose anything until you soak it in the water!
Quality and ethical ingredients
When it comes to ingredients, Ethique’s range of shampoos and conditioners are vegan and cruelty-free. Not to mention, they are free from palm oil, which will save the orangutans from being displaced. Their sustainable products are made from natural ingredients so you won’t feel guilty about leaking out harsh chemicals into the wild.
For all hair types
Not everyone has the same kind of hair – some were born with frizzy hair, others have extreme curls, while some have straight hair. Some people have naturally greasy hair and others have dandruff problems. Not to worry – Ethique has a wide range of products that will target specific hair types and concerns, which is always a plus point!
Due to the high concentration of each of their shampoo and conditioner bars, you won’t have to buy them as often as needed. For example, some of their products will last as long as 5 bottles of conditioner in equivalent. Therefore, you’re saving more plastic bottles and reducing landfill waste.
About Ethique as a Company
Founded in 2015 in Christchurch, New Zealand, Ethique specializes in making eco-friendly products that come in bars to prevent or lessen plastic usage around the world. Here’s what they offer:
- Compostable and sustainable packaging. Their packaging makes use of biodegradable products, which means they are zero waste, overall. This is in line with their mission to have plastic-free products globally available and accessible by as many people as possible.
- They have vegan products. Ethique’s products are all cruelty-free and vegan. Not to mention, they have ethical ingredients as they do not use palm oil. This means that you are supporting rainforests and keeping the plants and other wildlife there safe.
- Ethique is a certified B-Corp. What this means that they aren’t concerned too much about profit, but rather, balance their profit and their purpose, which is to provide accessible and convenient hygiene products to consumers without harming the environment.
- Corporate social responsibility. As a certified B-Corp, Ethique donates either 20% of the profit or 2% of the revenue to charitable institutions, whichever amount is higher. They also qualify as climate-neutral among the many zero waste brands out there.
Andreas Organic Market Shampoo Bars
Yet another shampoo bar brand that we’d like you to try Andreas Organic Market. They make eco-friendly shampoo bars that contain no fragrances, wrapped in recycled and compostable paper packaging. Here’s what you need to know about them:
Among the organic ingredients found in their cold-pressed shampoo bars include unrefined extra VCO, herbal teas, castor oil, sunflower oil, ginger infusion, jojoba oil, apple cider vinegar, rosemary infusion, extra virgin olive oil, aloe, and different other herbs.
Aside from being eco-friendly, the company offers a wide selection of vegan varieties, such as coconut milk, avocado, and the like. They only use ingredients that don’t involve slaughtering animals.
About the Company
Hailing from Muldrow, Oklahoma, Andreas Organic Market sells products that will make both the seller and the consumer feel good about themselves and the environment.
Aside from shampoo bars, they also sell various loose leaf teas, bath salts, natural flavor extracts for cooking, and skincare. All of their products are cruelty-free, non-toxic, and are made without palm oil usage.